Friday, August 2, 2013

Injustice: can it (or should it) be forgiven - الظلم: هل يمكن أبدا غفرانه

I read this today, and I loved it.
"اللهم قد وهبت لك من ظلمني، فاستوهبني ممن ظلمتُه"
In English, my best rendition of this profound statement would be:

"Oh God: I grant You the right to forgive whoever committed injustice unto me.  Help me get the forgiveness from the hearts of those I committed injustice to".
I am not there yet, not even close.
Injustices still hurt for the few seconds that their memories pass through my head - even after many years have passed.
I am not even sure I will ever be at that point of forgiveness.
I am not talking about mistakes and simple errors in judgment. I am talking about injustice.
How would one forgive premeditated infliction of injustice just because someone had the power to inflict it without fear of retribution or accountability?
How would injustice be forgotten when it was committed deliberately with disregard of the victims existence, and with no purpose other than gaining above and beyond the bounds of need, comfort and luxury of the ones that committed it.
I cannot simply ignore that the worst of all criminals are described in the Quran as those that committed injustice (الظالمون)
"إِنَّمَا السَّبِيلُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ يَظْلِمُونَ النَّاسَ وَيَبْغُونَ فِي الْأَرْضِ بِغَيْرِ الْحَقِّ أُوْلَئِكَ لَهُم عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ"
KAH

No comments:

Post a Comment